Using Protein Powder in a protein shake or a smoothie is a common everyday occurrence, but have you considered the benefits of baking with protein powder?
In addition to it being a super simple way to add protein to almost anything, the benefits of baking with protein powder, like Boomer Nutrition ENERGY Protein Powders, range from saving time to repairing muscle post workout!
In a rush to get the kids to their after school activities? Need them to eat a solid snack so they can make it to dinner? In a hurry to get to a workout or to the office post workout ? A protein and fibre filled snack is the best option as they will give you nutritious energy you need to keep going.
Cookies, muffins and pancakes with less sugar and bad fats that still taste good? Just one of the many benefits of baking with Protein Powder. There are SO many ways to incorporate protein powder in your baking so your whole family can benefit from the extra dose of protein and fibre.
Benefits of Baking with Protein Powder
- increases nutritional value of treat foods such as brownies
- muffins, pancakes, or waffles made with protein powder keep you feeling full longer
- turns snack into filling mini meal when combined with fiber (think power balls or cookies)
- adds to your daily protein intake
- can create easy grab-n-go meals for busy mornings, after school snacks for kids or long days at the office for you
- perfect post workout protein punch you need to repair muscles
Five Tips for Baking with Protein Powder
Here are a few tips if you’re converting recipes from your kitchen:
- You can replace ⅓ of the flour that is called for in a recipe with protein powder. Occasionally more than that will affect the texture and flavours of your baked goods. Experiment!
- You can replace flour on a 1:1 ratio in a recipe with nut flours to cut the carbs, but you need to add leavening as nut flours are essentially a meal and don’t contain any. For every ½ cup of nut flour, you need ⅛ teaspoon of baking powder and ⅛ teaspoon of baking soda.
- Replace sugars with applesauce or mashed bananas on a 1:1 ratio BUT reduce whatever liquids you are adding to the recipe by a quarter or you will have wet dough / base.
- Pure vanilla extract (the real stuff, mind you!) is a great flavour to replace sugar. If your recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of sugar, replace it with ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Choose healthy fats to complement your baking: avocado instead of butter in brownies, for example, can be used on a 1:1 ratio.
What to Bake with Protein Powder
Short on time? These are the worlds easiest protein pancakes – only 3 ingredients. And they are crazy good when made with Boomer Nutrition ENERGY Whey Vanilla Protein Powder.
Cookies for Breakfast
These breakfast cookies include it all – fruit, fiber and protein or, if you are in the mood for a little pumpkin spice, try these Pumpkin Spice Protein Cookies. Grab a couple and dunk in your morning tea. Yum! Have some on hand for breakfast, for snack, for anytime of day when you need a protein boost!
When you have time, make a triple batch of these Whole Wheat Banana Protein Waffles, you can even make the batter the night before and just pour it onto the waffle maker in the morning. They freeze beautifully and can be popped in the toaster on a busy weekday.
Lemon Protein Bars
Traditional lemon bars are chock full of sugar and fats. These Lemon Protein Bars are full of protein and lemon-y tartness that will satisfy your sweet tooth without sending you into a sugar rush! You can store extras in the freezer for a grab and go treat, but who are we kidding? There won’t be many extras!
No Bake is Even Better
No Bake Triple Chocolate Cookies
How about a no-bake, nut free, triple chocolate cookie? Frankly, this recipe had me at ‘no-bake’, but ultimately, it’s a tasty way to get that protein hit in a snack that tastes an awful lot like a treat!
So many ways to enjoy overnight refrigerated oatmeal – here are a few of our favourite High Protein Fridge Oatmeal to start your day.
Making dessert healthy aging. The combinations are endless for this protein packed Chia Pudding, lost of recipes here to get you motivated and no baking is required!
Baking is a precise art, as compared to everyday cooking, but you can still play with your recipes to get the benefits of baking with protein and enjoy protein packed, fibre rich snacks and treats that will keep you satisfied while repairing and building muscles!
PIN this to your favourite Baking & Protein Powder Pinterest Boards for easy reference.